Friday, March 14, 2008

Chad's Goal Progress Blog

Hello all. It's been hard to sit down and right this. Sometimes it's just hard to be accountable. I definitely feel like the fire has cooled a little since beginning this process. I'm coming to realize that there are so many positive things I want out of life, but this session of goals is about eliminating the negatives. Instead of thinking about investing, for example, we have to face first the debts that we owe. Instead of thinking about becoming a better artist, I need to worry first about having money to sustain us while I go through art training and practice. I've come to learn more than ever President Hinckley's counsel that debt is a plague.

So, I've taken more jobs and left my family more than I would've wanted to, all so we could just get out of debt. The constant travel has worn on me, and I haven't lost much weight, and I've only memorized like three more pages of First Nephi. Everything has just taken a back seat to focusing on eliminating negatives. And that kinda sucks, honestly.

But I have made progress in the debt area. I guess that I didn't really realize how bad it was when I set the goal. Once I set the goal, I sat down and figured out just how much we owe, and it's insane. We've been struggling for so long to pay off something - ANYTHING - and nothing has worked. Our smallest debt was a $300 charge, and we've been trying to pay it off for a year. But as much as we've focused on it previously, we just never found that much extra money.

The 90 day goals thing changed all that. Just in the time since we've started 90 day goals, we've paid off tens of thousands of dollars in debt, and plan to pay off tens of thousands more before this whole thing is over. It's nothing short of a God-given miracle. The amount of debt we've paid off is more than I've ever received in just income in the same time period. It's amazing. It's difficult, and it's hampered the accomplishment of a lot of my other goals, but this is more important. It's not a commandment to memorize First Nephi, but it is a commandment to avoid debt. So, I've had to eat some humble pie in that regard, but this is what's better for my family.

One of my goals was to get at least 50% more money from every client and every job. I've doubled my rates across the board, and everyone is apparently still willing to pay me. This has really helped us get out of debt faster, and will allow me to be home more often in the future.

I've also done really well with my knowledge journal. My goal was to learn 500 new things (basically 5 a day) and journal them. It's amazing how much I learn on a daily basis, and writing that down just cements it in my mind. I've learned over 212 new things so far, and it's been a confidence boosting experience. I love it.

I've also started working on my first short animated film, and expect that to be completed at the end of 90 day goals as well. It's a cute cartoon about a snake charmer with a free-spirited snake with A.D.D. It's adorable and all of you should watch it. An artist buddy of mine is making the characters, and I'm animating it and creating the music.

One of my goals was to get two new book contracts. I've got one, and it came out of the blue and it was huge. I'm going to be writing a beginner's Photoshop book for McGraw-Hill, which is really really big. I have another book proposal out there, and I expect to have that signed (which would make my third book) before the 90 days is up.

This wasn't really a goal, but I've also been blessed a lot since 90 day goals started. As just one example of that, I've won THREE awards for my training. (In my whole professional career up to this point, I've never won anything for anything, and since 90 day goals started, I've won all three of these!!). Here's a picture of two of my awards. The metal one was made by the same company that makes the Golden Globe awards, and the glass one came with a pair of white gloves. They're both beautiful and heavy, and I'm pretty happy.



I've also got permission to record video training titles from home. I've had enough extra money to invest in making a new and improved home office that has better acoustics and more room for all my nerd gear. This will mean MUCH more time at home with the family in the future.

My partner has been a great help and inspiration as well. It also just feels great to have such a positive background with all of you. I get happy when I see you at church. I know that you're working hard to be better. I love that this is our history together. Most of you I haven't really known all that well before this, and when I think of you, I think of this goals thing. That's an awesome history to have with someone, and I'm proud of all of you. We're only half way done, so don't throw in the towel. Use the fact that you have a new partner to renew your commitment to a better life.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Good job on your goals Chad. Congratulations on your awards and on your book! That's awesome! I really love your goal of keeping a knowledge journal. I might have to try that next time around. Thanks for your example.