Friday, March 14, 2008

Heather's Goals

I didn't really have any earth shattering goals for this 90 day set. I really just wanted to get my life under control and start doing all the things I know I should, but never leave time for. I can definitely feel a difference. LeAnn has been an amazing partner. She gets so much done everyday. I literally cringe at the thought of not having progress to report for her at our nightly check-ins! I can't let her down!


So, one of my goals was to read the missionary reference library. I finished Our Search for Happiness and am on page 529 of Jesus the Christ. I have tried to read Jesus the Christ twice before. Both times I made it a few hundred pages in and then just quit. So, I am officially further than I've ever been, with no signs of stopping. I have read 16 pages every single day. I realize this isn't very much, but the consistency is what I'm working on, and so far I've done it. I have read my scriptures daily and recorded my thoughts in my Book of Mormon Journal. I've given my personal scripture study more time and thought than I have in years, and the difference has been tremendous. I can actually recall what I read yesterday! Before I couldn't have even told you what book I was in, let alone what I had learned from it.

I've been exercising 5 to 6 times a week. This is huge for me. For the first time in my nearly 30 year existence, I have the faint tracings of muscle definition. Sure, I have to contort my body in super unnatural positions, push the fat to the side and catch the light at just the right angle to see the muscle, but it's there. Oh, it is there. I feel stronger and healthier than ever. I feel like arm wrestling. Or maybe kick boxing. Or maybe just trying to get up the stairs without panting. Either way, I'm feeling pretty dang good.

Probably the project I've enjoyed the most from 90 day goals is my gratitude journal. Well, it started as a gratitude journal, but has morphed into a regular ol' daily life journal with some thanks thrown in. I got this super nifty photo album with 4 x 6 slots already built in. Everyday I put in a journal entry and a few corresponding photographs. It has been a great way to practice my writing and photography skills (both of which I've wanted to develop forever) and a wonderful family history. Mikey actually reads from it everyday. I can easily picture myself doing this for the rest of my life.

I've tried one new recipe a week. Some were keepers, others weren't. But, I'm trying. Natalie is learning her letters at a lightening fast pace. All of a sudden, she has a real desire to read. Apparently, all it took was consistent effort on my part. I'm on my fourth or fifth lesson in the InDesign Classroom in a Book. I love it. Last week I learned all about typography. It was so fun! I've spent more time managing Chad's online sales and working on our finances/budget. I've reaped rewards in both areas, bringing more money in and then using it more wisely. The kids and I have spent at least 3 hours outside every week. This is approximately 2.9 hours more than we would have before 90 day goals. It's been great for all of us. The kids are happier and more active. Now they actually beg me to take them to the park, where I once had to drag them kicking and screaming. I've written at least one note to a loved one daily since the beginning of goals. It's a simple thing, but I've renewed friendships and strengthened bonds. Like everything else, I just needed to make a consistent effort (are you noticing a trend yet?). I am well on the way to earning my Young Women In Excellence medallion, with something like 16 personal progress value experiences finished thus far. Oh, and lastly, my dog is getting better. Don't get me wrong, he's still smelly and annoying, but now he's a smelly and annoying dog that is sometimes fun to play with. If the training continues to go like this, we might actually end up with a real family pet.

Needless to say, I am so incredibly grateful for this goal group, and especially for my partner. This has been an amazing blessing. I can literally feel myself becoming more like the person I've always wanted to be. You have all been such huge inspirations to Chad and I. Keep up the amazing work! We're watching you!!!!
p.s. Sorry for the insanely long entry. Next 90 days I will set a goal to be more concise.

2 comments:

Jessica Lynn Perkins said...

Heather! You are so amazing! I can't believe how intense your goals are and how amazing you were at executing all of them! You are such a good example!

Ashley said...

Great job on your goals Heather! I'm impressed. I love that you've added pictures to your gratitude journal. Your kids will appreciate it someday (sounds like Mikey already does). I also really like the picture you took of your scriptures. Thanks for your good example.